For the longest time I’ve been trying to get a few of my colleagues together for a meal at my place. My husband and I are fond of hosting and it gives us an opportunity to experiment and share at the same time. What started off as a dinner invite – adults only soon changed to lunch with kids and then eventually we settled for breakfast with kids. I have to say though one of the couples ended up coming late enough to turn this into a Brunch 🙂
I do love having people over for Breakfast. It’s much easier hosting, everything needs to be prepared in the morning ,just as the guests start to arrive, served hot and fresh. I have to say though with a 27 month old and a 9 month old, it’s a real challenge. So I may want to re-consider this option and put it aside for a few years. My menu was simple, Mexican scrambled Eggs, Home Made Cheese & Chili Bread (courtesy husband), Fruit, Pineapple Banana Smoothie, Waffles & Apricot Muffins.
I started making Apricot Muffins a few years ago. I had all this dried Apricot left in the fridge, wanted to get rid of it and baking it away into something seemed like the easy option. A friend of mine loved these so I kept these on my ‘repeat list’. It makes for a great breakfast option if you want to break away from the typical Blueberry, Banana or Apple Muffins. They are super moist and super easy to make!
1 C chopped dried apricots
1/2 C orange orange juice
1 1/2 C flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 C butter
1/2 C sugar
1 C yogurt
- Soak apricots in orange juice over night or minimum of 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 200 C.
- Sift flour and baking powder
- In a separate bowl mix butter sugar until light and fluffy, then add eggs one at a time and whisk
- Add yogurt and apricots and mix together
- Finally, stir in Flour until just combined making sure not to over mix
- Spoon mixture into 10 holes leaving 2 empty to pour some hot water (this makes them extra light and fluffy)
- Reduce oven temperature to 180 C and bake for 20-25mins or until skewer comes out clean